When you get into the art of jewellery making, there’s a lot to learn! This exciting hobby has so many different facets (pun intended) and once you get into it you will never stop learning new things. In this article, we will offer some helpful tips that will get you started as a beginner as you embark on your jewellery making adventure.
Tips for Making Jewellery
Keep these tips in mind for jewellery making so that you can have increased success in this exciting hobby.
- It’s really important to first master the basic skills, such as how to form a simple wire loop or how to open and close a jump ring. You will use these skills in almost every project so they are important to master.
- It’s worth it to invest in good quality jewellery making supplies and tools. The better the tools you have to work with, the easier it will be and the better your project will look in the end.
- If there are specific skills that you want to learn you can take a class so that an experienced instructor can walk you through it. There are courses at schools, colleges and community centres in locations around the world.
- Once you start to know which types of beads and wires you use for your jewellery, you can save yourself a lot of time by ordering craft supplies online. They will be delivered right to your door, so that you don’t have to go out to the shops and buy them.
- Another great way to learn how to do something is to watch a YouTube video. There are many great jewellery makers who put videos online to show you how to do techniques.
- There is a lot of new vocabulary you will need to learn, such as head pins, gauge wires and findings. Take your time to read glossaries of jewellery making terms online so that you understand what everyone is talking about. This will help you avoid buying the wrong supplies because you didn’t know what they were.
- Set up a dedicated work space. If you always have a table or a spare room available for working on your jewellery projects, you won’t have to waste time setting up and putting away your supplies every time.
- Keep your work space organised. There are storage boxes and other types of dividers you can use, but an organisation system will ensure that you don’t waste time looking for the right supplies when inspiration hits you.
- Get yourself a good pair of round nose pliers. They are ideal for making simple loops and for making other types of rounded wire jewellery elements. The jaws are designed to taper to a point which will allow you to position your wire and get the size of loop you desire.
- You can check online and find other jewellery making blogs as well as Pinterest, Instagram and Tumblr for inspiration.
- Learn how to properly measure the size of rings, necklaces and bracelets so that you can create jewellery that is the right size. Otherwise it will be too tight or it will be too loose and will fall off.
- Don’t cut memory wire with your wire cutters, as it will put dents in the cutting edges. You will need to buy memory wire cutters if you are going to be cutting memory wire.
- When you are putting together designs don’t be afraid to take something apart in order to start again and do it differently. You might find that it looks even better.
- Remember that when you are designing jewellery there are no mistakes – only opportunities for improvement. Don’t be too hard on yourself if something doesn’t turn out the way you want it, you can always try again!
These are just a few tips to help you out as you get started with your jewellery making. The key is not to let yourself get overwhelmed, there are a lot of things to learn but you can simply start with the basics and go from there. Don’t be discouraged if your first pieces of jewellery don’t look like the professional ones – just keep practicing and you will get there! Your skills will develop with practice, so be patient and stick with it.